Simple Brown Rice and Veggie Bowl with Sauerkraut
This nourishing bowl is simple yet satisfying. Kale, beets, sauerkraut and nori over warm brown rice sprinkled with sesame seeds.
- 2 Cups Cooked Brown Rice or Quinoa
- 1 Bunch Kale
- 2 Beets—raw, steamed or pickled.
- 1/2 Cup Sky Island Organics Traditional Sauerkraut
- 1 Sheet Nori
- 1/4 lb Tempeh
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds
- Olive Oil
- De-stem the kale and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add a drizzle of oil, and lightly sauté the kale with a sprinkle of salt.
- As the kale begins to wilt, add a few tablespoons of water and put a lid over it so it continues to steam for another 5-10 minutes over low heat.
- Slice the tempeh into strips,
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add oil, tempeh, and a sprinkle of salt.
- Lightly sauté the tempeh until browned on each side, 3-5 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of water to the pan with the tempeh, cover, remove from heat and allow to steam for a few minutes.
- Lightly toast the sesame seeds over medium heat in a dry pan, stirring occasionally and paying close attention—they can go from perfect to burnt very quickly!
- Chop the beets into bite-sized pieces.
- Put the cooked rice or quinoa into two bowls and crumble the nori over it.
- Arrange the kale, tempeh, beets, and sauerkraut on top of the grains and nori. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, and if you wish, a drizzle of olive oil.
We used pickled beets in this recipe, which worked well with the other flavors. For a simple fermented beet recipe, try this one from the Washington Post.
You can swap out the beets for another vegetable of your choice, raw, steamed, or pickled.